ARCHIVED - Telecom Order CRTC 2012-440
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Ottawa, 10 August 2012
Huron Telecommunications Co-operative Limited – Increases to local residential service rates
File numbers: Tariff Notices 36 and 36A
1. The Commission received an application from Huron Telecommunications Co-operative Limited (HuronTel), dated 24 July 2012 and amended on 26 July 2012, in which the company proposed modifications to its General Tariff section 100 – Rate Schedules for Primary Exchange (Local) Service. Specifically, the company proposed to increase its rates for residential individual-line service pursuant to Obligation to serve and other matters, Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2011-291, 3 May 2011, as amended by Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2011-291-1, 12 May 2011 (Telecom Regulatory Policy 2011-291).
2. HuronTel proposed to increase its monthly rate for residential individual-line service by $2.40 to $27.55, and its monthly rates for three different seasonal subscription periods for this service as follows:
- from 1 May to 31 October: an increase of $1.42, to $16.23
- from 1 April to 30 November: an increase of $1.73, to $19.92
- from 1 March to 31 December: an increase of $2.05, to $23.55
3. HuronTel indicated that it had implemented these rate increases on 1 June 2012, but had failed to file a tariff for approval with the Commission before changing the rates. HuronTel therefore requested that the Commission ratify the rates charged to its residential individual-line service customers since 1 June 2012.
4. The Commission notes that, in Telecom Regulatory Policy 2011-291, it determined that small incumbent local exchange carriers would be allowed to increase their monthly residential service rates in three equal increments, to a maximum of $30, over a three-year period. The Commission considers that HuronTel’s proposed rate increases comply with this determination.
5. Accordingly, the Commission approves on an interim basis HuronTel’s proposal to increase its rates for residential individual-line service. The Commission will address the ratification request and, if necessary, any other issues related to the application in a subsequent order.
- Date modified: