ARCHIVED - Telecom Decision CRTC 2012-429
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Ottawa, 7 August 2012
La Compagnie de Téléphone Upton Inc. – Application to review and vary Telecom Decision 2012-46 regarding implementation of local competition
File number: 8662-U2-201203489
1. The Commission received an application by La Compagnie de Téléphone Upton Inc. (Upton), dated 19 March 2012, in which the company requested that the Commission review and vary La Compagnie de Téléphone Upton Inc. – Implementation of local competition for Cogeco Cable Inc., Telecom Decision CRTC 2012-46, 24 January 2012 (Telecom Decision 2012-46), regarding the approved ongoing local competition implementation costs for the company.
2. In Telecom Decision 2012-46, the Commission approved, subject to certain modifications, Upton’s implementation plan for local competition, which was filed in response to a formal signed expression of interest from Cogeco Cable Inc. (Cogeco).1 The Commission also approved $199,000 in start-up costs and $53,000 per year in ongoing costs for the implementation of local competition in Upton’s incumbent territory. The Commission provided a summary of the adjustments it applied to establish its final approved costs for the company.
3. The Commission received no comments regarding Upton’s application. The public record of this proceeding, which closed on 19 April 2012, is available on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca under “Public Proceedings” or by using the file number provided above.
Should the Commission vary Telecom Decision 2012-46?
4. Upton submitted that it was able to reproduce the Commission’s approved start-up costs, but it was unable to reproduce the Commission’s approved ongoing costs after applying the Commission’s adjustments to the company’s originally proposed costs. Upton indicated that there must therefore be an error regarding the Commission’s calculations of the company’s ongoing costs, and requested that the Commission revise these costs accordingly.
5. The Commission has reviewed its ongoing cost calculations for Upton, including the associated cost adjustments, and does not find any errors regarding the final approved ongoing costs.
6. In light of the above, the Commission finds that Upton has not demonstrated that there is substantial doubt as to the correctness of the Commission’s determination in Telecom Decision 2012-46 regarding the approved ongoing local competition implementation costs for the company. Accordingly, the Commission denies Upton’s application.
 The Commission notes that, by letter dated 3 February 2012, Cogeco subsequently withdrew its request to compete in Upton’s incumbent territory.
- Date modified: