ARCHIVED - Letter
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Our reference: 8643-C12-201105297
Ottawa, 12 October 2011
To: Distribution List
Re: Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2011-206, Proceeding to review network interconnection matters, as amended – Organization and conduct of the public hearing – Follow-up
As stated in the Commission’s letter dated 23 September 2011, this letter is intended to assist parties with respect to the structure and approach of their oral and written submissions.
Structure and Approach of Submissions
Parties are asked to present their submissions at the oral hearing in as plain language as possible in accordance with the structure and approach set out in the Appendix to this letter. Submissions should be supported by appropriate rationale and should identify relevant impacts. The Commission Panel’s questions at the hearing will be structured consistent with the approach set out in the Appendix.
Parties are advised that final written arguments, which may be filed with the Commission and copies served on other parties by 14 November 2011, are not to exceed 15 pages for the issues set out in the Appendix and 5 pages for the other matters that have been raised over the course of this proceeding, and are to include an executive summary no longer than 5 pages.
Copies of Documents Filed
All parties are also reminded that, with respect to any documents filed at the oral hearing (such as prepared remarks, exhibits, or responses to undertakings), 30 copies must be provided to the Hearing Secretary for the Commission’s use. Copies of all such documents must also be served on all other parties present at the oral hearing on the date the document is filed.
Original signed by:
Robert A. Morin
Structure and Approach of Submissions
Determining the role of the Commission with respect to network interconnection for voice services as the industry increasingly moves towards an IP-based environment:
- Does the natural evolution from circuit-switched to IP interconnection facilities require regulatory intervention?
- Should the Commission mandate IP-based network interconnection and establish basic rules, or should it be commercially driven?
- To what extent, if any, should the Commission forbear from the regulation of network interconnection for voice services? If so, under what conditions and within which timeframe would it be appropriate for the Commission to forbear under the Telecommunications Act and consistent with the Policy Direction?1
Reassessing the wireless carrier network interconnection regime:
- Should wireless carriers be treated as equal carriers with the ILECs and, therefore, be entitled to shared-cost interconnection with bill and keep and, if so, under what terms and conditions?
- What measures need to be taken to ensure that wireless carriers have the same benefits and obligations, regardless of whether they are independent or part of a vertically integrated telecommunications entity?
- Would it be appropriate for the Commission to forbear from regulating wireless access service, and, if so, what criteria should be applied?
Reassessing network interconnection in the territories of the small ILECs:
- Should existing rules be modified to require wireless carriers in small ILEC territories to establish direct network interconnection arrangements with the small ILECs, unless the two parties agree to alternative arrangements?
Regulatory@sjrb.ca; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; Jamie.firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; Regulatory.Matters@corp.eastlink.ca; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com;
1. Order Issuing a Direction to the CRTC on Implementing the Canadian Telecommunications Policy Objectives, P.C. 2006-1534, 14 December 2006
- Date modified: