Telecom Information Bulletin CRTC 2011-693
Ottawa, 8 November 2011
Filing of joint supporting interventions
In this bulletin, the Commission announces that parties may coordinate interventions in support of their position and file joint supporting interventions in the context of telecommunications proceedings, and sets out a covering letter template for this purpose.
1. The Commission announces that parties to telecommunications proceedings may now coordinate and organize interventions in support of their position into a joint supporting intervention.
2. The Commission changed its practice to permit such joint supporting interventions in the context of broadcasting proceedings in Broadcasting Information Bulletin 2010-28. Given the success of this practice, the Commission is of the view that joint supporting interventions should also be permitted in the context of telecommunications proceedings. The Commission notes that this practice has improved efficiency for the Commission and parties alike and ensures that all interveners filing jointly are aware that their personal information will appear on the Commission’s website.
Filing joint supporting interventions
3. Parties to a Commission telecommunications proceeding may coordinate and organize interventions in support of their position into a joint supporting intervention.
4. The joint supporting intervention must be filed with the Commission after the commencement of the proceeding and before the filing deadline for interventions. Further, the joint supporting intervention must include the following:
- the supporting interventions;
- a list setting out the names of persons filing the supporting interventions (the list);
- a statement by the person filing the joint interventions that the persons on the list have requested that the party submit the interventions and accept service of documents on their behalf and that these persons have been informed that their personal information will be posted on the Commission’s website as part of the record of the proceeding; and
- a confirmation that no person named on the list is requesting to appear at the hearing, where one will be held.
5. For convenience, the Commission has set out a template for the accompanying cover letter to be filed by the party. The template, which may be revised from time to time, is attached as an appendix to the present information bulletin and is made available on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca under “Public Proceedings.”
6. While the Commission prefers electronic filings by web form, with the interventions scanned into as few documents as possible, it is prepared to permit parties to file the list of names along with the supporting interventions by fax or hardcopy.
7. The Commission notes that where a public hearing has been scheduled as part of a telecommunications proceeding, persons wishing to appear at that public hearing in support of a particular application or position must file an intervention individually in accordance with the procedure set out in the corresponding notice of consultation.
- Changes to certain practices for filing interventions, Broadcasting Information Bulletin CRTC 2010-28, 20 January 2010, as amended by Change to certain practices for filing interventions – Expansion of filing practices to include the filing of joint supporting comments for broadcasting policy proceedings, Broadcasting Information Bulletin CRTC 2010-28-1, 10 December 2010
Template for joint supporting interventions in telecommunications proceedings
In Filing of joint supporting interventions, Telecom Information Bulletin CRTC 2011-693, 8 November 2011, the Commission announced that it will permit parties to coordinate, organize, and file in a single intervention supporting interventions to telecommunications proceedings. In accordance with the procedure set out in the above-noted information bulletin, a template for the covering letter to be filed by a party is provided below.
List of supporting interventions
The persons set out in the following list have provided interventions in support of the position of [name of applicant or name of party] (the party) in the proceeding initiated by
- [name of applicant] – [name of application], [file number]
- [name of Company] – tariff notice xx [tariff notice number]
- Telecom Notice of Consultation 20xx-xx [notice of consultation number]
that [insert brief description of the position being supported].
This is to confirm that:
i. the persons named on this list have requested that the party submit the attached interventions and accept service of documents on their behalf;
ii. each person named on this list has been informed by the party that their name and intervention will be posted on the Commission’s website as part of the public record of this proceeding and that all information provided by this person becomes part of the publicly accessible file, including personal information such as full name, email address, postal/street address, telephone and facsimile number(s) and any other personal information provided; and
iii. no person named on this list is requesting to appear at the hearing, where one will be held.
[name of representative of the party], on behalf of name of [party], [date]
1.[name of person supporting this application or the party’s position]
2.[name of person supporting this application or the party’s position]
3.[name of person supporting this application or the party’s position]
(continue list as necessary)
- Date modified: