Telecom Decision CRTC 2011-653
Ottawa, 18 October 2011
National Contribution Fund – Designation of administrator
File number: 8695-C53-201112317
1. In Decision 2000-745, the Commission introduced a national revenue-based contribution regime and stated that it would retain a central independent administrator for the collection of contribution and distribution of subsidy under a national fund. Pursuant to subsection 46.5(2) of the Telecommunications Act, the Commission has to designate a person to administer the fund, which is known as the National Contribution Fund (NCF).
2. In Telecom Decision 2008-99, the Commission approved the continued designation of Welch Fund Administration Services Inc. (Welch) as the NCF administrator for a three-year period, commencing 1 January 2009.
3. The Commission received an application by Canadian Portable Contribution Consortium Inc. (CPCC), dated 29 August 2011, requesting that the Commission approve the continued designation of Welch as the NCF administrator, and the related amending agreement between CPCC and Welch. CPCC also filed, on a confidential basis, copies of the amending agreement, and an acknowledgement and consent by Welch LLP.
4. Based upon CPCC’s board of directors accepting a proposal from Welch for the renewal of Welch as the NCF administrator, CPCC and Welch entered into an amending agreement for an additional three-year term, commencing 1 January 2012. CPCC noted that the fees payable to Welch in the renewal term under the amending agreement are only modestly higher than the fees payable to Welch in the previous amending agreement, without any changes in the services to be provided.
5. No comments were received with respect to this application. The public record of this proceeding, which closed on 29 September 2011, is available on the Commission's website at www.crtc.gc.ca under "Public Proceedings" or by using the file number provided above.
6. The Commission has reviewed the amending agreement between CPCC and Welch and the acknowledgement and consent by Welch LLP and finds that the terms and conditions relating to the manner in which Welch will administer the fund are in accordance with Decision 2000-745.
7. Accordingly, the Commission designates Welch as the NCF administrator for another three-year term, commencing 1 January 2012, and approves the related amending agreement between CPCC and Welch, effective 1 January 2012.
- National Contribution Fund – Designation of administrator, Telecom Decision CRTC 2008-99, 17 October 2008
- Changes to the contribution regime, Decision CRTC 2000-745, 30 November 2000
- Date modified: