ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2011-58
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Ottawa, 31 January 2011
Call for comments on the addition of SIC Noticias to the lists of eligible satellite services for distribution on a digital basis
1. The Commission received a request dated 16 November 2010 from Cogeco Cable Inc. (Cogeco) for the addition of SIC Noticias to the lists of eligible satellite services for distribution on a digital basis (the digital lists).
2. Cogeco described SIC Noticias as a 24 hour, high-quality news service in the Portuguese language.
3. In regard to such non-Canadian news services, the Commission considers an open-entry approach to be consistent with the importance it places on a diversity of editorial points of view. Accordingly, the Commission stated in paragraph 246 of Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100:
absent clear evidence, as determined by the Commission, that a non-Canadian news service would violate Canadian regulations, such as those regarding abusive comment, the Commission will be predisposed to authorize non-Canadian news services for distribution in Canada.
4. The Commission invites comments on the request described above. Consistent with the open-entry approach regarding non-Canadian news services and in particular with the importance placed by the Commission on a diversity of editorial points of view, parties wishing to submit that SIC Noticias should not be authorized for distribution in Canada should provide detailed support for their position. Such support might consist, for example, of transcripts or tapes of actual programs aired on the service, along with details as to the date or dates on which they aired.
5. In the event that parties may wish to argue that SIC Noticias should not be considered a news service, and should therefore not be subject to the open-entry approach set out in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100, they should provide evidence to that effect. Any such party could then argue that the proposed service would be competitive with a Canadian pay and specialty service. In order to do so, it should name the specific Canadian pay or specialty service with which it considers SIC Noticias would compete and provide details to support its views, such as comparisons as to nature and genre of service, programming schedules, programming sources and supply, and target audience.
Call for comments
6. The Commission calls for comments on Cogeco’s request for the addition of SIC Noticias to the digital lists. Parties submitting comments on the requests should also submit a true copy of their comments to the Canadian sponsor, Cogeco, at the following address:
Cogeco Cable Inc.
5 Place Ville-Marie, Suite 1700
7. Proof that comments have been sent to Cogeco must accompany the original version of the comments sent to the Commission.
8. Comments on Cogeco’s request must be received by the Commission no later than 2 March 2011. A copy of the comments must be received by Cogeco no later than the deadline for receipt of comments by the Commission.
9. Cogeco may file a written reply to any comments received concerning its request. This reply should be filed with the Commission, and a copy sent to the person who submitted the comments, by no later than 17 March 2011.The Commission will not formally acknowledge comments. It will, however, fully consider all comments and they will form part of the public record of the proceeding, provided that the procedures for filing set out below have been followed.
Procedures for filing comments
10. Interested parties can file their comments to the Secretary General of the Commission in only one of the following formats:
by using the
[Broadcasting interventions/comments form]
by mail to
CRTC, Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N2
by fax at
11. The Commission advises those who file and serve by electronic means to exercise caution when using e-mail for service of documents or notification, as it may be difficult to establish that service has occurred.
12. Parties must ensure that, before initiating service through electronic mode, they will be able to satisfy the Commission, upon request, that service of the notification was completed.
13. Submissions longer than five pages should include a summary.
14. Each paragraph of the submission should be numbered. In addition, where the intervention is filed by electronic means, the line ***End of document*** should be entered following the last paragraph of the document, as an indication that the document has not been damaged during electronic transmission.
15. All information that parties provide as part of this public process, except information granted confidentiality, whether sent by postal mail, facsimile, e-mail or through the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca, becomes part of a publicly accessible file and will be posted on the Commission’s website. This information includes personal information, such as full names, e-mail addresses, postal/street addresses, telephone and facsimile numbers, and any other personal information parties provide.
16. The personal information that parties provide will be used and may be disclosed for the purpose for which the information was obtained or compiled by the Commission, or for a use consistent with that purpose.
17. Documents received electronically or otherwise will be put on the Commission’s website in their entirety exactly as received, including any personal information contained therein, in the official language and format in which they are received. Documents not received electronically will be available in PDF format.
18. The information that parties provide to the Commission as part of this public process is entered into an unsearchable database dedicated to this specific public process. This database is accessible only from the web page of this particular public process. As a result, a general search of the Commission’s website with the help of either its own search engine or a third-party search engine will not provide access to the information that was provided as part of this public process.
19. The Commission encourages interested parties to monitor the public examination file and the Commission’s website for additional information that they may find useful when preparing their comments.
Examination of documents
20. A list of all comments will also be available on the Commission’s website. An electronic version of all comments submitted will be accessible from this list. To access the list, select “Lists of interventions/comments” under “Public Proceedings” from the Commission’s website.
21. The public may examine public comments and related documents at the following Commission offices during normal business hours.
Location of Commission offices
Toll-free telephone: 1-877-249-2782
Toll-free TDD: 1-877-909-2782
Les Terrasses de la Chaudière
1 Promenade du Portage, Room 206
99 Wyse Road
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
205 Viger Avenue West
55 St. Clair Avenue East
275 Portage Avenue
2220 – 12th Avenue
10405 Jasper Avenue
858 Beatty Street
Vancouver, British Columbia
Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
Improving the diversity of third-language television services – A revised approach to assessing requests to add non-Canadian third-language television services to the lists of eligible satellite services for distribution on a digital basis, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2004-96, 16 December 2004
- Date modified: