ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2011-454
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: 2011-271
Ottawa, 29 July 2011
Addition of Aapka Colors to the lists of eligible satellite services for distribution on a digital basis
The Commission approves a request to add Aapka Colors to the lists of eligible satellite services for distribution on a digital basis and amends the lists accordingly. The revised lists are available on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca under “Broadcasting Sector.”
1. The Commission received a request dated 9 March 2011 from Asian Television Network International Limited (ATN) to add Aapka Colors to the lists of eligible satellite services for distribution on a digital basis (the digital lists).
2. ATN described Aapka Colors as a Hindi-language general interest service that provides 24-hour year-round entertainment programming.
3. In Broadcasting Public Notice 2004-96, the Commission stated that requests to add non-Canadian general interest third-language services to the digital lists would generally be approved, subject to any requirement it deemed appropriate. In the case of non-Canadian third-language services that provide narrowly targeted or “niche” programming, the Commission stated that it would continue to apply a case-by-case assessment to determine whether such services are partially or totally competitive with Canadian pay or specialty services.
4. Consistent with this approach, in Broadcasting Notice of Consultation 2011-271, the Commission called for comments on the proposed addition of Aapka Colors to the digital lists. The Commission stated that it would rely primarily on the comments filed to identify the Canadian pay and specialty services with which Aapka Colors might be totally or partially competitive and which therefore should be included in the assessment of the competitiveness of the service. The Commission also stated that parties wishing to argue that Aapka Colors should not be authorized for distribution in Canada should provide detailed support for their position.
5. The Commission did not receive any comments in response to Broadcasting Notice of Consultation 2011-271.
Commission’s analysis and determination
6. In the absence of opposing comments, the Commission concludes that there is no Canadian pay or specialty service with which Aapka Colors would compete. Consequently, the Commission approves the addition of Aapka Colors to the digital lists and amends the lists of eligible satellite services accordingly. The lists of eligible satellite services are available on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca under “Broadcasting Sector” and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2011-399, 30 June 2011
Call for comments on the addition of Aapka Colors to the lists of eligible satellite services for distribution on a digital basis, Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2011-271, 27 April 2011
Improving the diversity of third-language television services – A revised approach to assessing requests to add non-Canadian third-language television services to the lists of eligible satellite services for distribution on a digital basis, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2004-96, 16 December 2004
 In Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2011-399, the Commission announced that, as of 1 September 2011, the digital lists will be replaced with a consolidated list to be known as the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution.
- Date modified: