ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2011-294
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: 2011-165
Ottawa, 4 May 2011
Bell Aliant Regional Communications Inc. (the general partner), as well as limited partner with 6583458 Canada Inc. (the limited partners), carrying on business as Bell Aliant Regional Communications, Limited Partnership
Halifax, Dartmouth, Bedford, Sackville and Sydney, Nova Scotia; Saint John, Moncton, Fredericton and Bathurst, New Brunswick; Summerside and Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island; St. John’s, Paradise and Mount Pearl, Newfoundland and Labrador
Application 2011-0246-7, received 1 February 2011
Regional broadcasting licence for the Class 1 terrestrial broadcasting distribution undertaking serving various municipalities in the Atlantic provinces – Licence amendment
1. The Commission approves the application by Bell Aliant Regional Communications Inc. (the general partner), as well as limited partner with 6583458 Canada Inc. (the limited partners), carrying on business as Bell Aliant Regional Communications, Limited Partnership, to amend the regional broadcasting licence for its Class 1 terrestrial broadcasting distribution undertaking serving various municipalities in the Atlantic provinces by replacing the signal of WGBH-TV (PBS) Boston, Massachusetts, included in the set of U.S. 4+1 signals it distributes as part of its basic packages, with the signal of WMED-TV (PBS) Calais, Maine.
2. The Commission received an intervention in support of this application. The public record for this proceeding can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca under “Public Proceedings.”
3. The licensee indicated that viewers in the Atlantic region would received more relevant content from the Maine station than from the Boston station due to the service area’s geographical proximity to the Maine signal.
4. Accordingly, the Commission replaces the current condition of licence 1, reflected in the appendix to Cable broadcasting distribution undertakings, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2006-184, 5 May 2006, with the following condition of licence:
1. The licensee is authorized to distribute, as part of the basic service, the signals of WCVB-TV (ABC), WHDH-TV (NBC) and WBZ-TV (CBS) Boston, Massachusetts, WMED-TV (PBS) Calais, Maine and WUHF-TV (Fox) Rochester, New York, or, alternatively for each signal, the signal of a different affiliate of the same network located in the same time zone as that of the licensed area and included on the appropriate list of eligible satellite services, as amended from time to time and approved by the Commission.
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: