ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2011-284
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: 2010-935
Ottawa, 2 May 2011
Asian Television Network International Limited
Application 2010-1469-6, received 10 September 2010
Public Hearing in the National Capital Region
11 February 2011
ATN South Asian English News Channel 2 – Category 2 specialty service
The Commission approves an application for a broadcasting licence to operate a new Category 2 specialty service.
1. Asian Television Network International Limited (ATN) filed an application for a broadcasting licence to operate ATN South Asian English News Channel 2, a national, ethnic Category 2 specialty programming undertaking that would be devoted to news from the South Asian sub-continent broadcast in the English language. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
2. ATN is controlled by its majority shareholder Shan Chandrasekar.
3. The applicant proposed to draw programming for the proposed service from the following program categories set out in Item 6 of Schedule I to the Specialty Services Regulations, 1990, as amended from time to time: 1, 2(a), 2(b), 3 and 13.
4. The Commission is satisfied that the application complies with the frameworks set out in Public Notice 2000-6 and Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100, with the approaches set out in Broadcasting Public Notices 2003-61 and 2006-74, and with all applicable terms and conditions set out in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2010-786. Accordingly, the Commission approves the application by Asian Television Network International Limited for a broadcasting licence to operate the national, ethnic Category 2 specialty programming undertaking ATN South Asian English News Channel 2. The terms and conditions of licence are set out in the appendix to this decision.
5. While the applicant indicated that it did not wish to adhere to the conditions of licence related to the accessibility of Category 2 pay and specialty services, the Commission is of the view that ATN did not provide compelling evidence to support its request. Accordingly, the applicant will be subject to the conditions of licence relating to accessibility set out in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2010-786.
6. The Commission reminds the applicant that distribution of this service is subject to the applicable distribution rules set out in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100.
Standard conditions of licence, expectations and encouragements for Category B pay and specialty services, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2010-786, 25 October 2010
Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
Regulatory framework for the licensing and distribution of high definition pay and specialty services, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2006-74, 15 June 2006
The regulatory framework for the distribution of digital television signals, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2003-61, 11 November 2003
Licensing framework policy for new digital pay and specialty services, Public Notice CRTC 2000-6, 13 January 2000
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2011-284
Terms and conditions of licence for the Category 2 specialty programming undertaking ATN South Asian English News Channel 2
A licence will be issued once the applicant has satisfied the Commission, with supporting documentation, that the following requirements have been met:
the applicant has entered into a distribution agreement with at least one licensed distributor; and
the applicant has informed the Commission in writing that it is prepared to commence operations and has provided the Commission with a launch date for the service. The undertaking must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 48 months from the date of this decision.
The licence will expire 31 August 2017.
Conditions of licence
1. The licence will be subject to the conditions set out in Standard conditions of licence, expectations and encouragements for Category B pay and specialty services, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2010-786, 25 October 2010.
2. The licensee shall provide a national, ethnic Category 2 specialty programming service devoted to news from the South Asian sub-continent broadcast in the English language.
3. The programming shall be drawn exclusively from the following program categories set out in Item 6 of Schedule I to the Specialty Services Regulations, 1990, as amended from time to time:
2 (a) Analysis and interpretation
(b) Long-form documentary
3 Reporting and actualities
13 Public service announcements
For the purposes of the conditions of this licence, including condition of licence 1, broadcast day refers to the 24-hour period beginning each day at 12 a.m. or any other period approved by the Commission.
- Date modified: