ARCHIVED - Telecom Order CRTC 2010-768
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Ottawa, 15 October 2010
TELUS Communications Company – Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line (ADSL) Access Service
File number: Tariff Notice 346
1. The Commission received an application by TELUS Communications Company (TCC), dated 17 February 2009, in which TCC proposed to withdraw item 214 – Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line (ADSL) Access Service from its Carrier Access Tariff.
2. TCC submitted that no customers subscribed to this service and, as such, it would not be required to meet the customer notification requirements set out in Telecom Decision 2008-22.
3. The Commission received comments from The Internet Centre Inc. (TICI). The public record of this proceeding, which closed on 11 March 2009, is available on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca under “Public Proceedings” or by using the file number provided above.
Should the Commission approve TCC’s application?
4. TICI submitted that the Commission should postpone consideration of the application until outstanding applications related to the provision of ADSL access services from a central office (CO) were resolved in public proceedings.
5. TCC replied that TICI’s request should be denied and that the withdrawal of item 214 would not presume any determination in the Commission’s proceeding related to ADSL access services.
6. By letter dated 11 March 2009, the Commission notified TCC that it would defer consideration of the application until it had completed a follow-up proceeding related to ADSL access services that was initiated in Telecom Regulatory Policy 2009-34. The Commission’s consideration of the application was further postponed when it issued Telecom Notice of Consultation 2009-261, in which the Commission considered the need for new ADSL access services, among other matters.
7. The Commission notes that TCC currently has no customers for the service that it has proposed to withdraw. The Commission also notes that in Telecom Regulatory Policy 2010-632, it determined that the incumbent local exchange carriers would not be required to provide wholesale CO-based ADSL access services. The Commission expressed the view that there was no convincing evidence to indicate that there would be a substantial lessening of competition in the absence of such a service. As a result, the Commission considers that there is no prospect that customers requiring this service will emerge.
8. The Commission considers that TCC’s proposal is consistent with its determinations in Telecom Regulatory Policy 2010-632 and that TCC has met the information requirements for the withdrawal of services as set out in Telecom Decision 2008-22.
9. In light of the above, the Commission approves TCC’s application, effective the date of this order.
- Wholesale high-speed access services proceeding, Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2010-632, 30 August 2010
- Proceeding to consider the appropriateness of mandating certain wholesale high-speed access services, Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2009-261, 8 May 2009, as amended by Telecom Notices of Consultation CRTC 2009-261-1, 4 August 2009; 2009-261-2, 11 August 2009; 2009-261-3, 12 August 2009; 2009-261-4, 2 September 2009; 2009-261-5, 2 October 2009; 2009-261-6, 27 October 2009; 2009-261-7, 23 December 2009; and 2009-261-8, 12 March 2010
- Requests to review and vary directives in Telecom Decision 2008-17 related to the provision of central-office-based wholesale ADSL access service and aggregated ADSL access service – Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-34, 26 January 2009
- Mandatory customer contract renewal notification and requirements for service destandardization/withdrawal, Telecom Decision CRTC 2008-22, 6 March 2008
- Date modified: