ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2009-744

This page has been archived on the Web

Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.

  Route reference: 2009-461

Additional references: 2009-461-2 , 2009-461-3 and 2009-461-4

  Ottawa, 2 December 2009
  CTV Limited
Across Canada
  Application 2009-0922-8, received 18 June 2009
Public Hearing in the National Capital Region
29 October 2009

CablePulse24 – Acquisition of assets (Corporate reorganization)


The Commission approves the application by CTVglobemedia Inc. (CTVgm), on behalf of its wholly-owned subsidiary CTV Limited (CTV), for authority to acquire from CTV and 1640576 Ontario Inc. (1640576 Ontario), partners in a general partnership carrying on business as Pulse 24 Partnership (the partnership), as part of a corporate reorganization, the assets of the English-language specialty programming undertaking known as CablePulse24 (CP24) and for a new broadcasting licence to continue the operation of the undertaking under the same terms and conditions as those in effect under the current licence. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.


1640576 Ontario is a wholly-owned subsidiary of CTV and holds a 0.01% interest in the partnership while CTV owns the remaining 99.99% interest.


The applicant has indicated that the transaction will realize tax efficiencies.


The transaction will be effected by the wind up of 1640576 Ontario into CTV. Following completion of the transaction, the partnership will cease to exist and CTV will become licensee of CP24.


This corporate reorganization will not affect the control of CP24, which will continue to be exercised by CTVgm.


Upon surrender of the current licence issued to CTV Limited and 1640576 Ontario Inc., partners in a general partnership carrying on business as Pulse 24 Partnership, the Commission will issue a new licence to CTV Limited. The new licence will expire 31 August 2010, the current expiry date, and will be subject to the same terms and conditions as those in effect under the current licence.


The Commission requests that CTV Limited file executed copies of the special resolution of the sole shareholder, of the resolution of the board of directors, of the Distribution and Wind-up Agreement, and of the certificate and articles of dissolution within 60 days of the date of this decision.



In Accessibility of telecommunications and broadcasting services, Broadcasting and Telecom Regulatory Policy 2009-430, 21 July 2009 (Broadcasting and Telecom Regulatory Policy 2009-430), the Commission stated its intention to impose on television broadcasters and broadcasting distribution undertakings, at the time of their licence renewals, conditions of licence relating to accessibility provisions. Accordingly, the Commission will consider imposing such conditions of licence on CP24 at the time of the licence renewal for this service. In the meantime, the Commission expects CP24 to adhere, as soon as possible, to the applicable requirements specified in Broadcasting and Regulatory Telecom Regulatory Policy 2009-430.
  Secretary General 
  This decision is to be appended to the licence. It is available in alternative format upon request and may also be examined in PDF format or in HTML at the following Internet site:

Date modified: