ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2007-339

This page has been archived on the Web

Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.


Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2007-339

  Ottawa, 29 August 2007
  3924181 Canada Inc.
Across Canada
  Application 2007-0939-7, received 22 June 2007
Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2007-82
13 July 2007

Scream - Licence amendment


The Commission approves the application by 3924181 Canada Inc. to amend the broadcasting licence of the national Category 2 specialty programming undertaking known as Scream in order to allow the service to be available for distribution in high definition (HD) format.


The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.


In Broadcasting Public Notice 2006-74, the Commission stated that it would authorize the licensee of a Canadian pay or specialty service to make available an upgraded version of its service by means of an amendment to the licence of the existing service, subject to the requirement initially imposed in Broadcasting Public Notice 2003-61 that the programming on the analog or standard definition service and on the upgraded service be comparable. This authority would be in effect for a term of three years.


Accordingly, 3924181 Canada Inc. is subject to the following condition of licence:

The licensee is authorized to make available for distribution, until 31 August 2009, the end of the current licence term, a version of Scream in HD format, provided that not less than 95% of the video and audio components of the upgraded and standard definition versions of the service are the same, exclusive of the commercial messages and of any part of the service carried on a subsidiary signal. The remainder of the programming making up the 5% allowance must be provided in HD.

  Secretary General

Related document

  • Regulatory framework for the licensing and distribution of high definition pay and specialty services, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2006-74, 15 June 2006
  • The regulatory framework for the distribution of digital television signals, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2003-61, 11 November 2003
  This decision is to be appended to the licence. It is available in alternative format upon request and may also be examined in PDF format or in HTML at the following Internet site: 

Date Modified: 2007-08-29

Date modified: