Telecom Circular CRTC 2007-13
Ottawa, 19 April 2007
Timelines for submissions regarding local forbearance applications
1. In this Circular, the Commission sets out the timelines for submissions regarding local forbearance applications. These timelines are being established by the Commission in an effort to deal with local forbearance applications as expeditiously and fairly as possible.
2. As set out in detail in the Governor in Council's Order Varying Telecom Decision CRTC 2006-15, P.C. 2007-532 (the Order),1 incumbent local exchange carriers (ILECs) should include the following information in their local forbearance applications:
- the geographic component of the relevant market;
- evidence that the applicant ILEC has satisfied all the local forbearance criteria or an indication that it will file the prescribed quality of service information2 after filing the application;
- the tariff items and associated tariff numbers of the services for which the ILEC is requesting local forbearance; and
- a draft communications plan.
3. Prior to filing its local forbearance application with the Commission, the applicant ILEC shall serve a copy of its application on participating parties. Participating parties means all registered competitive local exchange carriers and any other known telecommunications service providers providing local exchange service in the relevant market.
4. Participating parties and any interested third party may file comments within 20 calendar days of the date that the application is filed with the Commission. Copies are to be served on the Commission, the applicant ILEC, and the participating parties.
5. The applicant ILEC may file reply comments within 25 calendar days of the date of its application, serving copies on the Commission, the participating parties, and any interested third party that filed comments.
6. Where the applicant ILEC files the prescribed quality of service information after having filed its forbearance application or after receiving conditional forbearance from the Commission, the ILEC, prior to filing this information with the Commission, must serve a copy of the information on all participating parties and any interested third party that filed comments on the applicant ILEC's original forbearance application. These parties may file comments within 10 calendar days of the date the quality of service information is filed with the Commission, serving copies on the applicant ILEC and on all parties that filed comments on the original local forbearance application. These comments are to be restricted to the quality of service information provided by the applicant ILEC.
7. The applicant ILEC may file reply comments within 15 calendar days of the date the quality of service information is filed with the Commission, serving copies on the Commission, participating parties, and all interested third parties that provided comments on the quality of service information.
8. In the case of local forbearance applications filed pursuant to paragraphs 242a)(i) or 520,3 as mentioned in the Order, the filing dates for comments and reply comments are 30 and 40 calendar days, respectively, from the date the local forbearance application is filed with the Commission. Copies of these comments/reply comments are to be served as outlined in paragraphs 4 and 5 above. These applications will be processed in accordance with the service standards established in Service standards for the disposition of telecommunications applications, Telecom Circular CRTC 2006-11, 7 December 2006.
9. In the event that the Commission determines that an interrogatory process is required to obtain further information regarding a local forbearance application, it will, within 50 calendar days of receiving the applicant ILEC's forbearance application, issue a letter to the parties setting out the interrogatory process and the interrogatories.
10. The Commission notes that where a document is to be filed or served by a specific date, the document must be actually received, not merely sent, by that date.
This document is available in alternative format upon request, and may also be examined in PDF format or in HTML at the following Internet site: http://www.crtc.gc.ca
 Effective 4 April 2007.
 The prescribed quality of service information is to be filed with the same detail and in the same format as it is submitted in quarterly reports as directed in Finalization of quality of service rate rebate plan for competitors, Telecom Decision CRTC 2005-20, 31 March 2005.
 Paragraphs referenced are from Forbearance from the regulation of retail local exchange services, Telecom Decision CRTC 2006-15, 6 April 2006, as varied by the Order.
- Date modified: