ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2006-55

This page has been archived on the Web

Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.


Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2006-55

  Ottawa, 10 March 2006
  CanWest MediaWorks Inc. and Rogers Communications Inc., partners in a general partnership carrying on business as Prime TV
Across Canada
  Application 2005-1025-7
Public Hearing in the National Capital Region
19 December 2005

Prime TV - Acquisition of assets


The Commission approves the application by CanWest MediaWorks Inc. (MediaWorks), on its own behalf and on behalf of Rogers Communications Inc. (RCI), partners in a general partnership carrying on business as Prime TV (Prime TV GP) (collectively the New Partners) to acquire the assets of the national, English-language specialty programming undertaking known as Prime TV (Prime TV) from the current partners, MediaWorks and Prime Television Holdco Inc. The New Partners also requested a broadcasting licence to operate the undertaking under the same terms and conditions as those specified in the current licence.


RCI will hold 33.3% of the partnership interest of Prime TV GP, and MediaWorks will hold the remaining 66.7%.


This transaction will not result in any change in the ultimate control of Prime TV. The ultimate control of the undertaking will continue to be exercised by David A. Asper, Gail S. Asper and Leonard J. Asper, children of the late Mr. Israel Asper, as approved in Administrative letter of 17 October 2005, in their capacity as directors of CanWest Global Communications Corp. and in their capacity to elect the majority of the board of directors.


The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.


Upon surrender of the current licence for Prime TV, the Commission will issue a broadcasting licence for Prime TV to CanWest MediaWorks Inc. and Rogers Communications Inc., partners in a general partnership carrying on business as Prime TV.


The licence will expire 31 August 2010, the current licence expiry date, and will be subject to the same terms and conditions as those in effect under the current licence.
7. Because this licensee is subject to the Employment Equity Act and files reports concerning employment equity with theDepartment of Human Resources and Skills Development, its employment equity practices are not examined by the Commission.
  Secretary General
  This decision is to be appended to the licence. It is available in alternative format upon request, and may also be examined in PDF format or in HTML at the following Internet site: 

Date Modified: 2006-03-10

Date modified: