ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2003-488

This page has been archived on the Web

Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.


Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2003-488

  Ottawa, 1 October 2003
  Margaret and Paul Weigel, on behalf of a company to be incorporated
Across Canada
  Application 2002-0886-0
Public Hearing in the National Capital Region
26 May 2003

Forerunner Radio Network - Specialty audio service

  In this decision, the Commission approves the operation of a new, English-language, religious specialty audio service.
  The application


The Commission received an application by Margaret and Paul Weigel, on behalf of a company to be incorporated, for a broadcasting licence to operate a balanced, English-language, religious specialty audio service to be known as Forerunner Radio Network.


The applicant proposed a programming service that would be available for national distribution by broadcasting distribution undertakings (BDUs) on both an analog and digital basis. Spoken word programming would make up 65% of the service, while the remaining 35% would consist of Christian music (subcategory 35 - non-classic religious). The service would have a target audience of listeners 18 years of age and older.


The Commission received 37 interventions from interested parties in support of the application, and one intervention in comment. With respect to the comment by Inner City Films and the concerns it raised on the subject of cultural diversity, the Commission notes the intervener's desire to see an "opening up [of] a new dialogue on diversity."


Based on its examination of this application, the Commission is satisfied that it is in conformity with all applicable terms and conditions announced in New licensing framework for specialty audio programming services, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2002-53, 12 September 2002. Accordingly, the Commission approves the application for a licence to operate the Forerunner Radio Network programming service.
  Issuance of the licence


The Commission will issue a licence once the applicant has satisfied the Commission, with supporting documentation, that the following requirements have been met:
  • an eligible Canadian corporation has been incorporated in accordance with the application in all material respects;
  • the applicant has entered into a distribution agreement with at least one licensed distributor; and
  • the applicant has informed the Commission in writing that it is prepared to commence operations. The undertaking must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months of the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 1 October 2005. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted at least 60 days before this date.


The licence will expire 31 August 2010, and will be subject to the conditions of licence set out in the appendix to this decision.
  Other matters


As mentioned above, the applicant has proposed that the programming service be available for distribution by broadcasting distribution undertakings on both an analog and digital basis. The Commission notes that, should Forerunner Radio Network succeed in negotiating its carriage by a BDU on an analog basis, the BDU would be required by the Broadcasting Distribution Regulations to obtain prior Commission approval for such carriage. This assures the Commission of an opportunity to consider the appropriateness of such carriage, taking into account the specific circumstances of the market served by the BDU.


In accordance with Implementation of an employment equity policy, Public Notice CRTC 1992-59, 1 September 1992, the Commission encourages the licensee to consider employment equity issues in its hiring practices and in all other aspects of its management of human resources.
  Secretary General
  This decision is to be appended to the licence. It is available in alternative format upon request, and may also be examined at the following Internet site:

Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2003-488

  Conditions of licence

1. The licensee shall provide a balanced, national, English-language, religious specialty audio programming service directed to the Christian community in Canada and consisting predominantly of news, information and other spoken word programming (65%), with the remaining 35% of the service to be derived from subcategory 35 (non-classic religious).


2. The licensee shall adhere to the policy requirements stipulated in Religious Broadcasting Policy, Public Notice CRTC 1993-78, 3 June 1993.


3. The licensee shall adhere to the Canadian Association of Broadcasters' (CAB) Broadcast Code for Advertising to Children and to the CAB's Sex-Role Portrayal Code for Television and Radio Programming, as amended from time to time and approved by the Commission.


4. The licensee shall adhere to sections 2.2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 9(2) of the Radio Regulations, 1986.


5. The licensee shall adhere to the Broadcasting Licence Fee Regulations, 1997 if its revenues derived from broadcasting activities exceed the threshold amount of $2 million.


For the purposes of the conditions of this licence, broadcast day shall have the same meaning as that set out in section 2 of the Radio Regulations, 1986.

Date Modified: 2003-10-01

Date modified: