ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2002-261

This page has been archived on the Web

Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.

Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2002-261

Ottawa, 30 August 2002

Global Television Network Inc. and Global Communications Limited, partners in Global Television Network Quebec Limited Partnership
Québec, Quebec

Application 2002-0354-7
Public Hearing in the National Capital Region
15 July 2002

CKMI-TV Québec and its transmitters - Transfer of ownership


The Commission received an application from Global Television Network Inc. (GTNI), for approval to acquire the 49% interest held by the limited partner, TVA Regional Inc. (TVA Regional), in Global Television Network Quebec Limited Partnership (Global LP), authorized to operate CKMI-TV Québec, and for a broadcasting licence to continue the operation of the television programming undertaking CKMI-TV and its transmitters CKMI-TV-1 Montréal, and CKMI-TV-2 Sherbrooke.


Global LP consists of the partnership of Global Communications Limited (GCL), the general partner, holding 51% of the interests of the partnership, and of TVA Regional, currently the limited partner holding the remaining 49%. In accordance with the existing Limited Partnership Agreement between GCL and TVA Regional, GTNI is exercising its right to purchase the 49% interest from the limited partner.


The Commission notes that it did not receive any intervention in connection with this application, and that the proposed transaction would not alter the ultimate management of the television undertaking, as GCL retains its 51% interest in the partnership.


In light of the purchasing rights allowed by the agreement, and the fact that the transaction will not result in a change of the effective ownership and control of the assets of CKMI-TV and its transmitters, the Commission approves the application.


Upon surrender of the current licence issued to GCL and TVA Regional, and subject to the licensees filing a duly signed and executed copy of the Amended and Restated Partnership Agreement, the Commission will issue a licence to GCL and GTNI expiring 31 August 2008, the current licence expiry date. The licence will be subject to the terms and conditions of the current licence.


The Commission requires the licensees to inform the Commission of the date on which the transaction is completed as approved.


The Commission notes that, as part of this application, the applicant submitted an interim report related to the benefits package outlined in Acquisition of assets and licence amendments for CKMI-TV Québec - Approved, Decision CRTC 97-85, 27 February 1997. That decision approved an application by TVA Regional and GCL, partners in the TVA CanWest Limited Partnership, to acquire the assets of CKMI-TV Québec and its transmitters. The Commission expects the new licensees to file in 2004 a final report on the benefits package noted above, indicating the amounts of money expended, and complete information about programs that were broadcast and the scheduling of such programs.


Because these licensees are subject to the Employment Equity Act and file reports with Human Resources Development Canada, their employment equity practices are not examined by the Commission.

Secretary General

This decision is to be appended to the licence. It is available in alternative format upon request, and may also be examined at the following Internet site:

Date Modified: 2002-08-30

Date modified: