Programming on TV and Radio
At the CRTC, our radio, TV, and online programming initiatives focus on:
- Ensuring that broadcasting meets the needs and interests of Canadians with content made by Canadians
- Monitoring the operations of licensed services to ensure they meet regulatory requirements
Exclusive broadcasting rights
We ensure that television programming is widely available to Canadians across the country. Television services often acquire exclusive rights to programs, but since these services are offered to all cable and satellite distributors, most Canadians will have access to them.
On the Internet, digital media services may offer exclusive content as well, but we do not permit programs designed for television to be offered exclusively by only one specific mobile or retail Internet service. This ensures that customers will not have to subscribe to more than one Internet service provider (ISP) or mobile provider to watch content.
Video-on- demand (VOD) services offered via traditional television distributors are not permitted to acquire exclusive rights because that would mean those programs would only be available to subscribers of that specific television distributor. However, VOD services can offer exclusive content in the same way as digital media services on the Internet provided the VOD service is also offered on the Internet to all Canadians without the need for a television subscription.
How to make a complaint about your tv or radio service online, by email and by phone.
- Affordable basic TV package, small packages and pick and pay channels
- Access to programs on TV that aren’t Canadian
- Award shows that qualify as programs of national interest
- Blocking features and parental control
- Local Programming and Over-The-Air (OTA) Television Broadcasting
- TV blackouts and blocked programs
- Violence on TV
- Offering cultural diversity
- The Future of Audio and Video Programming in Canada: What Will Come Next?
Our monitoring of licensees to make sure they are meeting their conditions of licence
What we are doing
- Date modified: