ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-54
This page has been archived on the Web
Route reference: Part 1 application posted on 21 October 2014
Ottawa, 19 February 2015
Bell Media Radio Atlantic Inc.
Bathurst, New Brunswick
CKBC-FM Bathurst - Technical change
The Commission approves an application to change the authorized contours for the English-language commercial radio station CKBC-FM Bathurst.
- In Broadcasting Decision 2003-572, the Commission approved an application by Astral Radio Atlantic Inc.Footnote 1 (Astral) to operate an English-language commercial radio station (CKBC-FM) at 104.9 MHz (channel 285B) with an effective radiated power (ERP) of 20,000 watts in Bathurst, New Brunswick. In Broadcasting Decision 2013-310, the Commission approved an application by Astral Media inc. (Astral Media) and its licensed broadcasting subsidiaries, which include the licensee of CKBC-FM, now called Bell Media Radio Atlantic Inc.Footnote 2 (Bell), for authority to change the effective control of Astral Media’s broadcasting undertakings to BCE Inc.
- While reviewing the technical parameters of CKBC-FM, Bell discovered that the station was operating with an ERP of 33,500 watts. Prior to the publication of Broadcasting Decision 2003-572, the Department of Industry (the Department) had requested that the station change its ERP to 33,500 watts to satisfy transmitter class requirements. Consequently, Astral submitted a revised engineering brief to the Department indicating the change. In a letter to the Commission dated 10 September 2003, prior to the release of the above decision, the Department granted conditional technical acceptability for the proposed station with a revised ERP of 33,500 watts. However, a revised application or engineering brief was never filed with the Commission to account for this change. As a result, in Broadcasting Decision 2003-572, the Commission granted Astral a broadcasting licence to operate CKBC-FM with an ERP of 20,000 watts.
- The licensee indicated that it would like to resolve this issue by ensuring that the technical parameters for CKBC-FM approved by the Department are reflected accurately in a Commission decision. Consequently, Bell filed an application to change the authorized contours of CKBC-FM by increasing the ERP from 20,000 to 33,500 watts. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application.
Commission’s analysis and decision
- In analyzing the proposed change, the Commission examined the conditions under which it had authorized the broadcasting licence for CKBC-FM in Broadcasting Decision 2003-572. This included assessing the proposed technical parameters and the interventions received, as well as determining whether the outcome of that decision would have differed had it considered the technical parameters proposed in the present application.
- In that decision, the Commission noted that Radio de la Baie ltée (Radio de la Baie), licensee of the French-language commercial radio station CKLE-FM Bathurst, had filed an opposing intervention indicating that the 20,000 watt ERP proposed by Astral was excessive and would encroach upon non-anglophone markets surrounding the Bathurst area-namely, Caraquet and the Acadian Peninsula-thereby imposing a competitive disadvantage on its station. However, the Commission determined that the contours of the proposed station conformed to market definition guidelines (as set out in Public Notice 1990-111) and would not reach those markets.
- Upon examination of the contour map provided in the revised engineering brief, the Commission notes that with an ERP of 33,500 watts, the contours of CKBC-FM remain outside the Caraquet and Acadian Peninsula markets. Accordingly, despite the fact that the revised ERP enlarges the contours of CKBC-FM, the Commission finds that consideration of the 33,500 watt ERP would likely not have resulted in a decision different than that rendered in Broadcasting Decision 2003-572.
- In light of all of the above, and given that no interventions were submitted in opposition to the proposed technical change, the Commission approves the application by Bell Media Radio Atlantic Inc. to change the authorized contours of the English-language commercial radio programming undertaking CKBC-FM Bathurst by increasing the ERP from 20,000 to 33,500 watts.
- The Commission reminds the licensee that, as set out in Appendix 5 to Broadcasting Decision 2013-310, CKBC-FM must file yearly reports relating to the Bell Media Indie Artist Initiative.
- Astral broadcasting undertakings - Change of effective control, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-310, 27 June 2013
- CKBC Bathurst - Conversion to the FM band, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2003-572, 14 November 2003
- An FM policy for the nineties, Public Notice CRTC 1990-111, 17 December 1990
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: