Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-600
Route reference: Part 1 application posted on 11 June 2013
Ottawa, 8 November 2013
Newfoundland Broadcasting Company Limited
St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador
CHOZ-FM St. John’s – New transmitter in Stephenville
1. The Commission approves an application by Newfoundland Broadcasting Company Limited to amend the broadcasting licence for the English-language radio programming undertaking CHOZ-FM St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador in order to operate an FM transmitter in Stephenville. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
2. The new transmitter will operate at 98.5 MHz (channel 253A) with an average effective radiated power of 3,030 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of 99.2. metres).
3. The new transmitter will rebroadcast the programming of CHOZ-FM. The licensee previously had a transmitter in Stephenville but had asked the Commission to delete that transmitter from CHOZ-FM’s licence because the cost to build a new antenna had been too high. The licensee stated that it had found a better and less expensive way to establish a transmitter in Stephenville and that area residents had indicated that they wished to receive CHOZ-FM’s programming.
4. The Commission reminds the licensee that, pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
5. The transmitter must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 8 November 2015. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted in writing at least 60 days before that date.
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: