ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2012-602
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: Part 1 applications posted on 30 July 2012
Ottawa, 30 October 2012
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Iqaluit, Nunavut; Puvirnituq, Kuujjuarapik, Inukjuak, Salluit and Kuujjuaq (Fort Chimo), Quebec and Sackville, New Brunswick
Applications 2012-0895-0, 2012-0896-8, 2012-0897-6, 2012-0898-4, 2012-0899-2 and 2012-0837-2
CFFB Iqaluit – New transmitters in Puvirnituq, Kuujjuarapik, Inukjuak, Salluit and Kuujjuaq (Fort Chimo)
1. The Commission approves the applications by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) to amend the broadcasting licence for the English-language radio programming undertaking CFFB Iqaluit, Nunavut, in order to operate low-power FM transmitters in Puvirnituq, Kuujjuarapik, Inukjuak, Salluit and Kuujjuaq (Fort Chimo), Quebec. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with these applications.
2. The transmitters will operate in accordance with the following technical parameters:
|Location||Frequency||Channel||Average effective radiated power||Effective height of antenna above average terrain|
|CFFB-FM-8 Puvirnituq||103.5 MHz||278LP||50 watts||35.7 metres|
|CFFB-FM-4 Kuujjuarapik||103.5 MHz||278LP||50 watts||29.1 metres|
|CFFB-FM-6 Inukjuak||103.5 MHz||278LP||50 watts||-0.1 metres|
|CFFB-FM-7 Salluit||103.5 MHz||278LP||50 watts||-71.4 metres|
|CFFB-FM-5 Kuujjuaq (Fort Chimo)||103.5 MHz||278LP||50 watts||10 metres|
3. The CBC also requested the revocation of its broadcasting licence for the short wave radio undertaking CKCX-SW Sackville, New Brunswick. It indicated that the new transmitters will ensure that the population of the aforementioned locations continues to be served by the news and regional information programming of its Radio One service when CKCX-SW Sackville ceases operation.
4. Given the licensee’s request and pursuant to sections 9(1)(e) and 24(1) of the Broadcasting Act (the Act), the Commission revokes the broadcasting licence for CKCX-SW Sackville effective 1 November 2012.
5. The Commission reminds the licensee that, pursuant to section 22(1) of the Act, the authority for the new transmitters will only be effective when the Department of Industry (the Department) notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
6. Given that the technical parameters approved in this decision are for low-power unprotected FM services, the Commission also reminds the licensee that it will have to select another frequency if the Department so requires.
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: