Consultation about CBC/Radio-Canada programming
Current status: OpenStart date: June 22, 2020
End date: July 13, 2020
We sought input from Canadians about the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation’s and Société Radio-Canada’s (CBC/Radio-Canada) programming as part of the process to renew their broadcasting licences. CBC/Radio-Canada’s licences will expire on August 31, 2021. We want to make sure that the content produced and distributed by CBC/Radio-Canada reflects the diversity of Canada’s population, while meeting its needs in both official languages.
How to participate
During this part of the consultation, we are asking for input only on new financial information filed on June 12, 2020 by CBC/Radio-Canada in regard to its digital services.
You’ll find the new financial information in the zip file “2019-379 Responses to requests for information”.
There are a few ways you can participate. Keep in mind that we’ll make all submissions public.
Share your ideas online
Fill out the online form by 8 p.m. on July 13, 2020 to share your comments. You’ll have to agree to our privacy statement first.
Participate by mail
Write a letter to the Secretary General with your comments to the mailing address below.
Send us a fax
Make yourself heard by sending a fax to the number below.
As part of the licence renewal process, we’ll hold a public hearing beginning on January 11, 2021. During the hearing, you can listen to an audio feed to follow along.
Key topics for discussion
We must make sure that CBC/Radio-Canada continues to carry out its mandate so that Canadians have access to predominantly Canadian programming services that:
- reflect Canadians across the country in both official language communities while meeting their needs and interests
- reflect the multicultural and multi-ethnic nature of Canada, including Indigenous peoples
- are of high quality and support Canadian creators and producers
- are accessible and discoverable in Canada and abroad
- contribute to democratic life in Canada by providing high-quality and reliable news and information
See the Notice of Consultation for more details.
What we heard
The first part of the consultation was open between November 25, 2019 and February 20, 2020. Take a look at the comments shared.
- Change of hearing date and new financial information related to CBC/Radio-Canada’s digital services
- CBC/Radio-Canada’s licences are renewed until August 31, 2021
- Canadians are invited to share their views on CBC’s programming: consultation period extended
- Harnessing public broadcasting for Canadians in the digital age
- Canadians are invited to share their views on CBC’s programming
- CBC/Radio-Canada’s Strategic plan: Your stories, taken to heart
Ottawa, Ontario K1N 0N2
- Date modified: