Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2021-303
Ottawa, 30 August 2021
R.B. Communications Ltd.
CIXL-FM Welland and CKYY-FM Welland – Administrative renewals
- The Commission renews the broadcasting licences for the English-language commercial radio programming undertakings CIXL-FM Welland and CKYY-FM Welland, Ontario, from 1 September 2021 to 28 February 2022, subject to the same terms and conditions as those in effect under the current licences.
- In CIXL-FM Welland and CKYY-FM Welland – Acquisition of assets, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2020-53, 7 February 2020, the Commission approved an application by Stingray Group Inc., on behalf of Stingray Radio Inc. (Stingray), for authority to acquire the assets of the English-language commercial radio programming undertakings CIXL-FM and CKYY-FM from R.B. Communications Ltd. (RBC), and to obtain new broadcasting licences to continue the operation of the undertakings.
- Stingray recently informed the Commission that the close of the transaction will not occur before 31 August 2021, the end of the stations’ current licence term. Accordingly, the Commission will not issue new broadcasting licences prior to the expiry of the current licences.
- In order to allow RBC, the current licensee, to continue the operation of CIXL-FM and CKYY-FM, the Commission renews the broadcasting licences for six months.
- This decision does not dispose of any issues that may arise with respect to the renewal of these licences, including any non-compliance issues.
This decision is to be appended to each licence.
- Date modified: