Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2020-236
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 5 March 2020
Ottawa, 29 July 2020
Rogers Media Inc.
Edmonton and Red Deer, Alberta
Public record for this application: 2020-0128-8
CKEM-DT Edmonton and its transmitter CKEM-TV-1 Red Deer – Technical changes
- The Commission has the authority, pursuant to section 9(1) of the Broadcasting Act (the Act), to issue licences for such terms not exceeding seven years and subject to such conditions related to the circumstances of the licensee as it deems appropriate for the implementation of the broadcasting policy set out in section 3(1) of the Act as well as to amend those conditions on application of the licensee.
- Consistent with this authority, the Commission approves the application by Rogers Media Inc. (Rogers) to amend the broadcasting licence of the English-language television programming undertaking CKEM-DT Edmonton, Alberta, in order to transition the rebroadcasting transmitter CKEM‑TV-1 Red Deer from National Television System Committee analog channel 4 to Digital Television digital channel 15, increase the average effective radiated power (ERP) from 3,480 to 19,000 watts (maximum ERP from 7,000 to 35,000 watts), and increase the effective height of antenna above average terrain from 229.70 to 225.60 metres. All other technical parameters will remain unchanged.
- The Commission received an intervention in support from an individual.
- Rogers is not required by the Department of Industry (the Department) to convert to digital but has elected to do so.
- Pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: