Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2018-294
Reference: Part 1 licence renewal application posted on 27 June 2018
Ottawa, 21 August 2018
8159203 Canada Limited
Public record for this application: 2017-0780-4
CKNT Mississauga – Licence renewal
- The Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the English-language commercial AM radio programming undertaking CKNT Mississauga, Ontario, from 1 September 2018 to 31 August 2023. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application. The terms and conditions of licence are set out in the appendix to this decision.
- In English-language AM radio station in Mississauga, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2011-722, 22 November 2011, the Commission approved an application for a broadcasting licence to operate this radio station. However, Commission records indicate that the station was not in operation for the majority of the current licence term. This short-term renewal will allow for an earlier review of the licensee’s compliance with regulatory requirements over the course of the next licence term.
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the broadcasting licence renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificate issued by the Department of Industry lapses.
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2018-294
Terms, conditions of licence, expectations and encouragement for the English-language commercial AM radio programming undertaking CKNT Mississauga
The licence will expire 31 August 2023.
Conditions of licence
- The licensee shall adhere to the conditions of licence set out in Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009, as well as to the conditions set out in the broadcasting licence for the undertaking.
- In order to fulfil its commitments to Canadian content development (CCD) set out in English-language AM radio station in Mississauga, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2011-722, 22 November 2011, in addition to the required basic annual contributions to CCD set out in section 15 of the Radio Regulations, 1986 (the Regulations), as amended from time to time, the licensee shall make annual CCD contributions of $2,434 in the 2018-2019 broadcast year, $2,147 in the 2019-2020 broadcast year, $3,694 in the 2020-2021 broadcast year, $16,250 in the 2021-2022 broadcast year, $23,583 in the 2022-2023 broadcast year, $41,667 in the 2023-2024 broadcast year and, in the 2024-2025 broadcast year, any remaining amounts from pro-rated amounts paid in the 2017-2018 broadcast year for the total owing of $5,000. These annual CCD contributions must be paid by no later than 31 August of each broadcast year.
Each broadcast year, the licensee shall allocate at least 20% of the above-noted CCD contributions to FACTOR or MUSICACTION. The remaining amounts of these additional CCD contributions shall be allocated to parties and initiatives fulfilling the definition of eligible initiatives set out in paragraph 108 of Commercial Radio Policy 2006, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2006-158, 15 December 2006.
The Commission expects the licensee to reflect the cultural diversity of Canada in its programming and employment practices.
The Commission expects the licensee to adhere to its commitment to not direct marketing activities to Toronto, Brampton or Oakville.
In accordance with Implementation of an employment equity policy, Public Notice CRTC 1992-59, 1 September 1992, the Commission encourages the licensee to consider employment equity issues in its hiring practices and in all other aspects of its management of human resources.
- Date modified: