Telecom Commission Letter Addressed to Stephen Schmidt (TELUS)
Ottawa, 19 September 2016
Mr. Stephen Schmidt
Telecom Policy and Chief Regulatory Legal Counsel
215 Slater Street, Floor 8
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 0A6
Re: TELUS Communications Company’s Part 1 Application, Show cause proceeding for use of deferral account funds to improve access to telecommunication services for persons with disabilities – Revised timelines and request for information
Dear Mr. Schmidt:
TELUS Communications Company (TELUS) filed an application with the Commission on 19 July 2016 regarding the use of its deferral account funds to improve access to telecommunication services for persons with disabilities. This letter is further to a Commission staff letter dated 25 August 2016 where Commission staff stated that it would set a revised timeline for the intervention period and corresponding reply period for this process following TELUS’ filing of a non-confidential version of Appendix B.
Commission staff requests clarification on the submissions by TELUS. Please provide responses to the following requests for information no later than 3 October 2016.
- In its application, TELUS noted that Bell Mobility Inc. (Bell) was approved to drawdown $200,000 of deferral account funding to fund its Code Factory Application initiative. What would it cost for TELUS to offer the Code Factory’s Mobile Accessibility Application with a compatible smartphone packaged as a lower-priced bundle for at least five years? Include detailed costing information.
- In its application, TELUS noted that Bell was approved to drawdown $200,000 of deferral account funding to fund its Tecla Access Solution Initiative. What would it cost for TELUS to offer the Tecla Access Solution and a compatible smartphone packaged as a lower-priced bundle for at least five years? Include detailed costing information.
- In its application, TELUS stated that the Code Factory Mobile Accessibility Application is an initiative that is greatly affected by the advent of technological change and, as a result, no longer presents a significant new accessibility benefit due to an increasing number of devices that already include accessibility features. Do the accessibility features described by TELUS in its application provide the same level of service as Code Factory’s Mobile Accessibility Application?
- In its application, TELUS stated that it does not wish to commit funds to offering the Tecla Access Solution with a compatible smartphone packaged as a lower-priced bundle for at least five years. TELUS’ provided that Alternate Input Devices are supported on the Apple iPhone 6 Plus and the Samsung Galaxy S6 as its rationale. Do the Alternate Input Devices supported on the Apple iPhone 6s and Samsung Galaxy S6 provide the same level of service as the Tecla Access Solution?
Set out below are the revised dates for the intervention period and TELUS’ reply period:
- Interested parties and those parties that had already filed an intervention may file new or amended interventions by 8 November 2016;
- TELUS may file reply comments by 21 November 2016.
[Original signed by]
Social and Consumer Policy
Consumer Affairs and Strategic Policy
c.c.: Distribution List
Meghan Zwiers, firstname.lastname@example.org
Eric Edora, email@example.com; Isabell Morneau, ISABELLE.MORNEAU@telus.com; Canadian Association of the Deaf firstname.lastname@example.org; Ontario College of Art and Design, Treviranus, email@example.com; ARCH firstname.lastname@example.org; Council of Canadians with Disabilities, email@example.com; Council of Canadians with Disabilities, firstname.lastname@example.org; Canadian Council of the Blind, email@example.com; Canadian Association for Community Living, firstname.lastname@example.org; Centre québécois de la déficience auditive, email@example.com; Alliance for Equality of Blind Canadians/L'Alliance pour l'égalité des aveugles canadiens, Farah.firstname.lastname@example.org; Neil Squire Society, email@example.com; Harry Lew firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; Chris Stark, firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; Clayton Zekelman, clayton@MNSi.Net; Beverley Milligan, Media Access Canada, email@example.com; Confédération des organismes de personnes handicapées du Québec, firstname.lastname@example.org; Diane Bergeron, email@example.com; Lui Greco, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Date modified: