TV and Radio Services for Canadians
Learn about the types of broadcasters that offer a different TV services, on switching from analog to digital TV and how to change your service provider.
Learn more about the NPAS and which broadcasters are airing public alerts.
More about local and community TV, and OTA broadcasting.
Learn about changing your phone, wireless, Internet, and TV service providers.
Explore the different options available in Canada to view content.
Learn about 9(1)(h), aboriginal programming, basic, community, discretionary, ethnic and third-language, on-demand and religious television services.
What the switch from analog to digital means for you and why it happened.
Radio, TV and Cable Broadcasting Services that do and do not need a licence.
CRTC Activities and Initiatives
The decision on local and community TV is out! It recognizes the importance for Canadians to have access to local programming, and particularly local news that meet the needs and interests of Canadians. Read the new policy!
The Discoverability Summit, hosted by the CRTC and the National Film Board of Canada, is now over. The recordings of the event and the transcripts in both official languages are available at discoverability.ca. Keep the discussion going on social media using #discoverability!
Canadians have choices when it comes to watching all types of programming. Learn about the choices available to you and tips on how to shop around for TV services.
What we are doing
Notice of consultation
Policies, Decisions and Orders
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-198 - Licensing of new radio stations to serve the urban Indigenous communities in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa and Toronto
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-143 – Renewal of television licences held by large French-language television ownership groups – Introductory decision
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-148 – Renewal of television licences held by large English-language television ownership groups – Introductory decision
- Policy framework for local and community television (2016-224)
- Creating compelling and diverse Canadian programming (2015-86)
- Call for proposals to amend the lists of eligible satellite services through the inclusion of additional non-Canadian services eligible for distribution on a digital basis only (2000-173)
- Improving the diversity of third-language television services – A revised approach to assessing requests to add non-Canadian third-language television services to the lists of eligible satellite services for distribution on a digital basis (2004-96)
- Broadcasting Distribution Regulations
- Key Television Policies
- Let's Talk TV: A Conversation with Canadians
- Date modified: