Message Relay Services (MRS)
MRS refers to text-based message relay services, specifically TTY and IP relay services.
- Teletypewriter (TTY) relay service
A TTY is a telephone-typewriter hybrid that transmits text-based messages to another TTY over the telephone network. Also called "traditional message relay service" TTY relay service is a text-to-voice and voice-to-text relay service. In a TTY relay service call, the relay operator communicates with the person who has a hearing or speech disability via TTY and with the person without a hearing or speech disability via voice.
- Internet protocol (IP) relay service
IP relay service is also a text-to-voice and voice-to-text relay service. In an IP relay service call, the relay operator communicates with the person who has a hearing or speech disability via text and the person without a hearing or speech disability via voice. The person with a disability uses a device connected to the Internet (e.g., computer, laptop, wireless device) or a text messaging application to reach the relay operator. The person without a disability dials a toll-free number to reach the relay operator.
Video Relay Service is also available.
What we are doing
Policies, Decisions and Orders
- Accessibility of telecommunications and broadcasting services (Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-430)
- Archived – Implementation of price regulation for Télébec and TELUS Québec (Telecom Decision CRTC 2002-43)
- Regulatory framework for voice communication services using Internet Protocol (Telecom Decision CRTC 2005-28)
- Telephone service to high-cost serving areas (Telecom Decision CRTC 99-16)
- Archived – Telecom Order CRTC 98-1
- Telecom Decision CRTC 97-8
- Date modified: