Closing the Broadband Gap
Following the review of Canada’s basic telecommunications services, the CRTC has established a universal service objective that Canadians – in rural and remote areas as well as in urban centres – should have access to voice services and broadband Internet access services on fixed and mobile wireless networks.
The CRTC is also setting new targets for these services:
- speeds of 50 Mbps download/10 Mbps upload for fixed broadband services
- an unlimited data option for fixed broadband services
- the latest mobile wireless technology available not only to all homes and businesses, but also along major Canadian roads
New funding for broadband projects
The CRTC is setting up a fund for projects in areas that don’t meet these targets. Applicants will be able to submit funding proposals in order to build or upgrade infrastructure for voice services and broadband Internet access services on fixed and mobile wireless networks. The fund will:
- make available up to $750 million over the first five years;
- be complementary to existing and future private investment and public funding;
- focus on underserved areas; and
- be managed at arm’s length by a third party.
The CRTC is holding a consultation process to develop this new broadband funding regime and you can help us shape it! During this consultation, we will examine the eligibility and assessment criteria of the fund as well as its governance framework, among other things. You have until June 28, 2017 to submit your comments.
The path forward for Canada’s digital economy
During our consultations with Canadians, we identified further gaps regarding the adoption of Internet services in Canada which are outside of our core mandate. Learn more by reading this report we submitted to the Government’s Innovation Agenda. It includes info on access gaps resulting from infrastructure, affordability and digital literacy issues, as well as barriers to connectivity in First Nations communities.
Broadband Services Map
See where broadband Internet services are available in Canada.
- Date modified: