Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-449
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 12 September 2017
Ottawa, 14 December 2017
Ethnic Channels Group Limited
Public record for this application: 2017-0875-2
Addition of INSIGHT UHD to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution
- The Commission approves an application from Ethnic Channels Group Limited (ECGL), acting as the Canadian sponsor, to add INSIGHT UHD, a non-Canadian English-language service, to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application. The revised list can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- ECGL described INSIGHT UHD as a niche service (100% English-language) providing factual entertainment that focuses on unscripted series-based stories concerning unique people, events and adventure challenges. The service’s target audience is in the 18-34 age group and is slightly skewed towards male millennials. This service originates from the Netherlands and includes programming from around the world.
- ECGL’s request is in line with the Commission’s general approach, as set out in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100 and reiterated in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2015-96, regarding the addition of non-Canadian English- and French-language services to the list. Further, based on the record of the proceeding and in the absence of opposing interventions, the Commission finds that INSIGHT UHD will neither be totally nor partially competitive with any Canadian discretionary television services.
- Let's Talk TV: A World of Choice - A roadmap to maximize choice for TV viewers and to foster a healthy, dynamic TV market, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2015-96, 19 March 2015
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Date modified: