Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2016-388
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 13 July 2016
Ottawa, 30 September 2016
8159203 Canada Limited
CKNT Mississauga – Technical change
The Commission approves an application by 8159203 Canada Limited to change the authorized contours of the English-language commercial AM radio station CKNT Mississauga.
This amendment will allow the applicant to relocate its transmitter site to launch CKNT and thus provide listeners in Mississauga with a new radio service.
- 8159203 Canada Limited (8159203 Canada) filed an application to change the authorized contours of the English-language commercial AM radio station CKNT Mississauga by relocating the transmitter site.
- The applicant indicated that the proposed transmitter site would enable it to proceed with the launch of the new station before the extended implementation deadline of 30 November 2016, as approved by the Commission.
- In Broadcasting Decision 2011-722, the Commission approved an application by Elliot Kerr, on behalf of a corporation to be incorporated (subsequently incorporated as 8159203 Canada), to operate an English-language commercial AM radio station in Mississauga, now known as CKNT. Pursuant to the terms of that decision, the station was required to be operational by 22 November 2013. However, in a letter dated 29 August 2013, the Commission administratively approved an application to extend the deadline to commence operations of the station until 22 November 2015.
- Subsequently, in Broadcasting Decision 2014-469, the Commission approved an application to change the authorized contours of CKNT by relocating the originally proposed transmitter site and by decreasing the daytime and night-time transmitter power. These changes were never implemented as the transmitter site proved to be unsuitable.
- Finally, in a letter dated 25 November 2015, the Commission administratively approved a second application to extend the deadline to commence the operations of the station until 30 November 2016.
Intervention and reply
- The Commission received an intervention by Radio Humsafar Inc. (Humsafar) commenting on the application, to which 8159203 Canada replied. The public record for this application can be found on the Commission's website at www.crtc.gc.ca or by using the application number provided above.
- In its intervention, Humsafar submitted that it had applied to the Department of Industry (the Department) to relocate the transmitter site for its new unlaunched AM radio station in Brampton.Footnote 1 It argued that approval of 8159203 Canada's application would reduce the distance between both stations' transmitters, thereby increasing the risk of interference between the two stations. Humsafar requested that CKNT be responsible for resolving any potential interference should 8159203 Canada's application be approved.
- 8159203 Canada replied that there would not likely be any interference between the two stations, even with the reduced distance between the proposed sites. Should interference occur between the two stations, it indicated that it would fully cooperate with Humsafar to resolve the issue.
Commission's analysis and decision
- With respect to the issue of potential interference raised by Humsafar in its intervention, such issues are addressed by the Department.
- In light of all of the above, the Commission approves the application by 8159203 Canada Limited to change the authorized contours of the English-language commercial AM radio programming undertaking CKNT Mississauga by relocating the transmitter site.
- Pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
- The transmitter must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 30 November 2016.
- Licensing of new radio stations to serve Brampton, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-471, 21 October 2015
- CKNT Mississauga – Technical changes, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2014-469, 11 September 2014
- English-language AM radio station in Mississauga, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2011-722, 22 November 2011
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: