Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2016-293-5
References: 2016-293, 2016-293-1, 2016-293-2, 2016-293-3, and 2016-293-4
Ottawa, 17 February 2017
File number: 1011-NOC2016-0293
Notice of hearing
6 February 2017
Review of the Wireless Code
Revised deadline for Phase 2 of the online consultation: 6 to 20 February 2017
Revised deadline for final submissions: 27 February 2017
Changes to procedure
- With this notice, the Commission revises certain procedural dates established in Telecom Notice of Consultation 2016-293.
- The Commission received a request from l’Union des consommateurs (l’Union), dated 10 February 2017, to extend the deadline, from 16 February to 22 February 2017, for it to conduct an undertaking to create a preamble to the Wireless Code. This preamble would help frame the Code’s interpretation and implementation, to ensure that it is in the consumer’s favour. L’Union cited pre-existing obligations that would make it difficult for it to conduct this undertaking on time, in consultation with the CoalitionFootnote 1 as suggested by the Commission.
- The Forum for Research and Policy in Communications (FRPC) and the Coalition supported l’Union’s request. These parties also argued that for parties to have sufficient time to consider the information from the above-mentioned undertaking, the deadline for final submissions should be extended to 1 March 2017.
- The Commission considers it reasonable to allow additional time for l’Union to conduct its undertaking and for other parties to consider this information in their final submissions.
- The Commission also received a request from the Deaf Wireless Canada Consultative Committee (DWCC), dated 13 February 2017, to extend the online discussion forum’s end date from 14 February to 18 February 2017. The DWCC noted that additional time was required to reach out to its members, including the creation of American Sign Language and Langue des signes québecoise videos that were sent to its members on 8 and 9 February 2017, respectively, and for them to file comments. The FRPC supported the DWCC’s request.
- The Commission considers the DWCC’s extension request to be reasonable.
- Accordingly, the Commission revises certain procedural dates set out in Telecom Notice of Consultation 2016-293. For ease of reference, the relevant paragraphs of the notice (paragraphs 17 and 31) are reproduced below, with changes highlighted in bold italics.
17. In order to facilitate further engagement by Canadians on the issues addressed in this notice, the Commission will also open an online discussion forum to allow the public to engage in discussion on issues and questions relating to this proceeding. The online consultation will consist of two phases. Phase 1 will be held from 13 to 26 September 2016 and Phase 2 will be held from 6 to 20 February 2017. Further details of the online consultation will be announced at a later date.
31. Following the hearing, all parties may file final submissions with the Commission on any matter within the scope of this proceeding by 27 February 2017. Final submissions, including an executive summary, are not to exceed 15 pages.
- Review of the Wireless Code, Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2016-293, 28 July 2016, as amended by Telecom Notices of Consultation CRTC 2016-293-1, 23 September 2016; 2016-293-2, 26 October 2016; 2016-293-3, 5 January 2017; and 2016-293-4, 24 January 2017
- Date modified: