ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-202
This page has been archived on the Web
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 2 April 2015
Ottawa, 20 May 2015
CIRC Radio Inc.
CIRV-FM Toronto – Use of the SCMO channel
- The Commission approves the application by CIRC Radio Inc. (CIRC Radio), licensee of the ethnic commercial radio programming undertaking CIRV-FM Toronto, for authority to use its Subsidiary Communications Multiplex Operations (SCMO) channel to broadcast a 100% Portuguese-language radio service. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application.
- The Portuguese-language radio service will replace CIRC Radio’s predominantly Vietnamese‑language SCMO service authorized in Broadcasting Decision 2007-314. It will broadcast 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Programming will consist of 65 hours per week of simulcasting of CIRV-FM’s locally produced programming, with the remainder made up of a mix of foreign-produced music, news and the live broadcast of 10 to 12 soccer games from Portuguese broadcaster Radio Difusao Portuguesa.
- CIRC Radio indicated that the SCMO service, which is operated by Heart Communications Inc., is currently broadcast by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) station CBL-FM Toronto. However, the agreement with the CBC has not been renewed and will expire on 31 May 2015. Accordingly, the proposal will ensure that the SCMO service’s listeners in Toronto continue to be able to receive quality Portuguese‑language programming. CIRC Radio added that existing Toronto radio stations will not be affected as CIRV-FM’s contours are totally encompassed by CBL-FM’s contours.
- The Commission’s policy regarding services using the SCMO channel of FM stations is set out in Public Notice 1989-23. The policy states that the Commission would be concerned if an SCMO service were to have a negative impact on existing local conventional ethnic broadcasters. No such broadcaster opposed this application. The Commission is satisfied that approval of this application will not cause undue negative impact on existing local conventional ethnic radio stations.
- The Commission reminds CIRC Radio that as stated in section 3(1)(h) of the Broadcasting Act (the Act), it is responsible for the programs that it broadcasts. It is therefore expected to ensure that its SCMO service is operated in a responsible manner and to adhere to the guidelines regarding the provision of SCMO services set out in Appendix A to Public Notice 1989-23.
- Pursuant to section 22(1) of the Act, the Commission also reminds the licensee that this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that the broadcasting certificate has been amended to include the SCMO service.
- CIRV-FM Toronto – Use of the SCMO channel, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2007-314, 17 August 2007
- Services using the vertical blanking interval (television) or subsidiary communications multiplex operation (FM) channel, Public Notice CRTC 1989-23, 23 March 1989
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: