Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2014-76-1
Additional reference: Telecom Notice of Consultation 2014-76 and 2014-76-2
Ottawa, 25 April 2014
Notice of hearing
29 September 2014
Revised deadline for submission of interventions: 15 May 2014
[Submit an intervention or view related documents]
Review of wholesale mobile wireless services
File numbers: 8620-C12-201401489, 8620-C12-201317230 and 8620-C12-201312082
Changes to procedure
1. With this notice, the Commission revises certain procedural dates established in Review of wholesale mobile wireless services, Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2014-76, 20 February 2014 (Telecom Notice of Consultation 2014-76).
2. By letter dated 10 April 2014, l’Union des consommateurs (l’Union) requested changes to two key dates established in Telecom Notice of Consultation 2014-76. Specifically, l’Union requested that (i) the filing date for initial interventions be extended from 1 May 2014 to 22 May 2014, to allow more time for parties and interested persons to analyze the wireless carriers’ responses to the Commission’s requests for information;Footnote 1 and (ii) the filing date for further interventions be extended from 20 August 2014 to 15 September 2014, due to resource issues during the summer months.
3. The Commission received interventions on l’Union’s request from the Public Interest Advocacy Centre (PIAC), Canadian Network Operators Consortium Inc. (CNOC), Bragg Communications Inc. operating as Eastlink (Eastlink), and Quebecor Media Inc. (Quebecor).
4. PIAC supported l’Union’s request. CNOC supported extending the filing dates, but proposed deadlines of 15 May 2014 for initial interventions and 8 September 2014 for further interventions. Eastlink and Quebecor supported extending the filing date for initial interventions, but also proposed a modified date of 15 May 2014. However, they requested that the 20 August 2014 filing date for further interventions remain unchanged, expressing concern that any extension could risk delaying the public hearing.
5. The Commission considers that it is reasonable to allow parties and interested persons additional time to analyze the wireless carriers’ responses to the Commission’s requests for information and to prepare their initial interventions. In these circumstances, the Commission considers that parties must also be given additional time to review other parties’ interventions before issuing requests for information. The Commission therefore finds that it would be appropriate to extend both the filing date for initial interventions and the filing date for parties’ requests for information.
6. With respect to the request for an extension to the filing date for further interventions, the Commission considers that the schedule of the proceeding gives parties sufficient time to prepare and file these submissions while providing them with the appropriate amount of time to prepare for the public hearing, which is scheduled to begin on 29 September 2014. The Commission therefore finds that it would not be appropriate to extend the filing date for further interventions.
7. Accordingly, the Commission revises certain procedural dates set out in Telecom Notice of Consultation 2014-76. For ease of reference, the relevant paragraphs of the notice are reproduced below, with changes in bold italics:
22. All Canadian carriers that provide mobile wireless services are made parties to this proceeding and may file interventions with the Commission by 15 May 2014.
23. Interested persons who wish to become parties to this proceeding must file an intervention with the Commission regarding the above-noted issues by 15 May 2014. The intervention must be filed in accordance with section 26 of the Rules of Procedure and must include one of the following statements in either the first or the last paragraph:
1) I request to appear at the public hearing.
2) I do not want to appear at the public hearing.
30. The Commission and parties may request information, in the form of interrogatories, from any party to the proceeding. The requesting party must file its request for information with the Commission, and serve the request on the party to whom it is addressed, by 9 June 2014.
- Footnote 1
These responses were filed on 22 April 2014.
- Date modified: