Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2014-52
Route reference: Part 1 application posted on 17 October 2013
Ottawa, 11 February 2014
ShawTelevision G.P. Inc. (the general partner) and Shaw Media Global Inc. (the limited partner), carrying on business as Shaw Television Limited Partnership
Vancouver and Wilson Creek, British Columbia
CHAN-DT Vancouver and its transmitter CHAN-TV-6 Wilson Creek – Licence amendment
1. The Commission approves the application by Shaw Television Limited PartnershipFootnote 1 to amend the broadcasting licence for the English-language conventional television programming undertaking CHAN-DT Vancouver to add a digital transmitter to replace its existing analog transmitter CHAN-TV-6 Wilson Creek. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application.
2. The new transmitter will operate on channel 23 with a maximum effective radiated power (ERP) of 4,300 watts (average ERP of 1,900 watts with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of 178.2 meters).
3. The Commission reminds the licensee that pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued
4. The transmitter must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 11 February 2016. To ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted in writing at least 60 days before that date.
Public service announcements
5. The Commission expects the licensee to broadcast public service announcements and to inform viewers of the existence of the new transmitters by way of its website in a manner consistent with the requirements set out in sections 3 and 4 of the appendix to Regulationsfor the digital television transition, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2011-198, 18 March 2011. Furthermore, the Commission expects the licensee to do this for a period of at least three months from the day this authority is issued and before the licensee ceases to broadcast in analog or changes channel, whichever is sooner.
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Footnote 1
Shaw Television G.P. Inc. (the general partner) and Shaw Media Global Inc. (the limited partner), carrying on business as Shaw Television Limited Partnership
- Date modified: